Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How the Heck Did I Get to China in the First Place?


While I was walking around downtown Shanghai this morning, now that the new cold weather is jarring my memory, I realized I hadn't posted much about how you can get paid to move abroad.

I've been skipping around a little and haven't told everyone how I got to China in the first place. Well here is the first part of the story:

I had been thinking of going to a Spanish speaking country for a while to learn a second language. Brent already knows quite a bit of Spanish, and was excited for a move too. I have been dreaming of learning new languages for the past few years. I didn't know what I would do for work, and wasn't super excited about spending my savings (I'm sure everyone can relate)! So I took my skills to the internet.

I first started my internet escapades looking at language programs and travel abroad opportunities. Most of them consisted of you paying someone a ton of money to work for them for free-blech, and get some language training on the side. So I kept looking . . .

Through no shortage of hours spent on the internet, I found out about some recruiting fairs that hired educators, administrators, coaches, and other personnel to work at schools abroad.

Here are the top places to go when looking for educator or school personnel jobs abroad:


International School Services
http://www.iss.edu/index.asp

Counsil of International Schools
http://www.cois.org/

Search Associates
http://www.searchassociates.com/main.html

University of Northern Iowa
http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/

Department of Defense Abroad (DOD)
http://www.eu.dodea.edu/hr/

I chose to sign up with International School Services (ISS). I paid a sign up fee to put my information in with ISS so I could be considered by International Schools for recruitment. Then, I paid another $400 to sign up for a recruitment fair in Philadelphia in February (I posted a picture of Brent in downtown Philadelphia from our trip. It looks cold, but it was a huge break from the freezing Alaska weather at that time. We had a blast. Thank you Priceline for the crazy good deal on the Marriot).

To sign up with ISS, I needed to show two years of experience and proof of my school certificate, which for me is a Type C special services. After arriving in Shanghai, I see that many teachers work with just a TEOFL or TESOL certificate. One of these can be obtained in a matter of weeks and the teachers with these certificates are paid similarly to me. Hey, its my first time getting hired abroad. I didn't know how much $ to ask for then, but now I do!

No comments: