Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How the Heck Did I Get to China in the First Place? Part 2


Once I signed up with the Philadelphia fair for International School Services (ISS), Brent and I looked up some International Schools Online to see what they were like. We didn't get much information.

Before I knew it, we were in Philadelphia at the first day of the fair. I was thinking of the fair as more of a vacation. I wasn't really planning on signing up with any schools. I just wanted to see what it was like and what type of package they were offering (hmmm, in hindsight a lot of my first ideas are usually good ones)!

The first day of the fair was all formalities, like talking about how to interview ect. I didn't find it helped the school search at all, but we both went. We met a few people at the fair who said they had no trouble getting jobs abroad. They had posted their information last minute and were hired in July just before the August school year, so Brent and I were getting excited.

The next day was the main part of the fair. All the schools were doing booths to represent their school/country and then a mini presentation you could sign up for. Well Brent and I showed up for the last half hour of the 2 hour booth session and everyone had already left! I couldn't believe it. We laughed about it for a while, then went to the individual school sessions.

I had this little mailbox where school recruiters could drop me letters and I found that Shanghai Singapore International School was interested in an interview.

When I read that, I laughed. China? No way! For all I had heard, China was still in the dark ages. . . . . who in there right mind would go work abroad in China? I didn't think they could pay me enough to do that.

Long story short, the recruiter really sold us in the presentation. He talked about what a great place China was to work. Massages were $10 for an hour, the city was Westernized and the job was very relaxing. Who could say no to that?

I still had my doubts going into the interview, but now I was a little more open to China. Mandarin is an incredibly hard, but important language to learn because such a large percentage of the world speaks it. I kept thinking to myself . . .. China? What is that like?

No comments: